- Rafa Benitez eyes return to Premier League management calling it a 'priority'
I am very happy with Klopp, but it's nice to see Rafa coming back to the PL. Top man
- Manchester United rocked by Wayne Rooney injury blow as skipper set to be sidelined for up to six weeks To be honest, I wouldn't mind if himself, Carrick and Milner were left behind for Euro 2016. Oh and Gibbs.
- Ezequiel Lavezzi nets £400,000-a-week contract - but where does that place him in the world's best-paid players? For China! Goddamn. I think the PL teams might as well just focus on their academy players and getting players from lower leagues, because you can't compete with China like that, can you?</a>
- Former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers favourite to take over at Newcastle Hmm if true. Let me move on
- Valencia boss Gary Neville insists Pako Ayestaran appointment was HIS idea
This guy is his no 2- used to be Benetiz's assistant at LFC before they fell out with each other, iirc. I know people are slating Neville for this choice, but the guy speaks the language, has been at Valencia before, and it shows that Neville is savvy enough to ask for help
- We'll pay you to do better in Europa League! Premier League clubs discuss financial bonus to protect Champions League places This year, clubs like West Ham and Southampton decided not to participate in Europa in order to focus on their PL form and protect their PL spot. Spurs and LFC are still in Europa, and since most of the coefficient points towards the CL places are actually dependent on how deep the Europa runs are, the PL is willing to pay clubs in the Europa more TV money to go deeper into the competition. As usual though, the suits are missing the point. The point - according to Pochettino who spoke about this at length last season- is the fact that TPTB make no concessions to the time table in terms of arranging PL matches around Europa matches. So in order to protect their league places (where the money is, because Europa stays paying peppercorn for too much work in the new format), the managers will send out their second string players to Europa and keep their starting XI for the domestic league. Of course there are other things too with regards to the playing culture (the fact that in Spain supposedly, the game is decided in the first 60 mins, while in the PL you play to the last whistle).But word has it that the PL wants the cup replays to be just one match because stuff has just gotten too congested. If it were me, I'd have all the teams play for the FA cup, and exclude the top flight from the League cup competitions.
Pictures and gossip
Roma 0 -2 Real Madrid
Goddamn. It seems that Zizou has been tasked to bringing the Champions League trophy home. For real? Does Flo Pez wake up to himself at all?
Roma was solid and Real Madrid had to work and work and then - boom! Got through
Sporting Gijon 1- 3 Barcelona
Messi is the reason why Ronaldo cannot rest his knee, can't put his feet up- the lad only went and scored his 300th and 301st goal. Magisterial!
Suarez poked his toe in too
Gent 2 - 3 Wolfsburg
Draxler put his boot in. But seriously, this match - the little I saw of it- was a hot mess
Draxler was all over that like stink on a warthog
Klopp filming an advert in Liverpool. Stay just the way you are, Klopp. Don't gain any weight or lose any hair, because I am teh shallow
The styling is on point. Tailored coat, shawl collar jumper and pressed jeans to look as if you've put forth an effort- but chuck taylors to show that you aren't thinking about this fashion malarkey too much. *finger guns* looking good, Klopp!
Ibra is looking to leave PSG and Ligue 1 - everyone is all, "He's coming the PL!" as if China isn't going to throw cash at him.
A bit of background, for those who came late - the chairman of Adidas hates how Manchester United are playing under LvG, so this is seen as shade
OP: I have to dash. The sun is out, so I'm going for a wee run - the first time in yonks. Can someone please do the tags for me? Ta