Chatter from the sidelines
- Kevin De Bruyne turned down Bayern and PSG to ensure Man City move I woke up to this. How the devil did I miss this?
- Swansea City’s Garry Monk Rises in Premier League An article in the NYT? All right, now. Look and weep, Brendan Rodgers, look and weep.
- Man City sign De Bruyne - and Chelsea do get a sell-on Chelsea still winning. They got £12 m
- John Stones 'didn't mean' to hand in transfer request, says Roberto Martinez How, Sway? That being said, Martinez is drawing a line under the whole thing, and going forward, the club will be putting in efforts to shield the players from such goings on (in terms of the intrusive press)
- More than that, for the first time in Juve's history, they have lost the opening two games of a Serie A season. Hit the drama button!
- Queen of the South 1-5 Rangers: Mark Warburton enters the record books as winning streak extends to eightI'm following Rangers this season because they have three interesting young players on loan. One is from Arsenal, and two from Spurs
Pictures in gossip
Can you Adam and Eve it? Not I!
Why would he come back to English football? To Man City of all clubs?
Chelsea's target Abdennour has joined Valencia instead. Whoops, you mean Mourinoho will have to ... just make do?
TIL : not all football teams have a formal dress wear to arrive on the field. LFC does, Spurs just got a deal with a posh clothes house in London. I think Bayern is paired with Hugo Boss- but I'm sure that I've seen them in Armani? Idek. Newcastle is trying to be paired with a clothing line for formal wear. Watch them get M&S!
Gossip. With Real Madrid expected to come for David de Gea (if he isn't gone by the transfer window, he'll play for Manchester United as soon as the window is shut). There's gossip that DdG thinks that LvG ruins goal keeper's careers or something. Anyway, if Real Madrid comes for DdG, Lloris might be in LvG's sights
The most red cards handed out in the PL weekend. Diving, simulation galore
South Hampton 3 - 0 Norwich
Saints needed a win to stem their losses (drummed out of Europa and their first matches) as well as steadying the club for players who want to leave, etc.
This form would have been nice for the Europa game and England's coefficient, but ehh
Swansea City 2- 1 Manchester United
Monk's face after becoming the first manager in the PL to beat LvG and Manchester United three times on the trot
The turn around in Gomis has been impressive. He threw a strop when he was sub to Bony, and wanted away from Swansea. Now that Bony is somewhere on Man City's compound, Gomis has grown into the main striker, and even speaks English
Romero should have blocked Gomis' goal, but the speed of the PL is unforgiving. His first goal, because the defence went missing. He'll learn from it, like DdG did
The match was fast paced and exciting, a real ping pong, and Manchester United drew first blood
Garry Monk has reason to say, "Swansea are a good team." It's been interesting that all the mid table teams (the Swanseas, Evertons, Crystal Palaces, etc) are all strengthening across the board. It's going to be an interesting race this year. Although we remember how Southampton started out brightly, was in the top four - only to stumble into 6th. But there will be some shocks this year
Sevilla 0 - 3 Atletico de Madrid
On paper, it seemed like a good match up. Sevilla riding high on their CL qualification, and not doing badly against Barcelona at the start of the season, so they'd be confident, have character and free to express themselves (yes, I have hit football bingo). In reality, the match was a damp squib
I'm assuming that this is the away team kit. Hmmm... anyway, Atleti notched their first comprehensive win, although people aren't convinced
Illorente got a run out
Action Jackson with his first goal
Dortmund 3- 1 Hertha Berlin
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Dortmund socks. I have some pairs of footie socks from teams, and I find them ever so comfortable to run in. For instance, Spurs has one with a cushioned arch, and its 'foot' seems to mould around your foot and ankle. Really nice! They aren't really as long as I want them to be though. Dortmund seems that they might be the ticket
Dance of the football maidens, or something. It looks like a painting Matisse would have done
OP: done! Cheers, jeers, corrections or commentary pushback you know the drill! Well, you ought to by now