Chatter from the sidelines
- Kolarov: I want to return to Serie A good weather, stylish women, why not?
- Serie A - Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio back in training - reports Brilliant. Can we call off the death threats now?
- Greece players suffer minor injuries in fatal car crash blimey, did you hear about this? The driver died. RIP.
- Mancini linked with City return LOL, really? His time at City was tempestuous to say the least
- Podolski hoping for second chance with Arsenal
- Napoli plot summer swoop for Tottenham's Jan Vertonghen I like Vertonghen, but his lapses of concentration have been costly
- DAD CASTS DOUBT ON NAPOLI FUTURE FOR HIGUAIN he wants that hot man on man Champions League action, yeah!
- Why My Photo From Guinea Sparked a Soccer Star’s Search for One Boy tl;dr" Dries Mertens saw an Instagram picture of a young boy in Ginuea wearing his shirt, got in touch with the photographer and yadda yadda football being the global game and other platitudes
- Former Man Utd boss will attract British players to La Liga - Loren Moyes has done a world of good for Real Sociedad. Taken them from 19th to 9th place in La Liga, made them stronger. The next phase of his reign is to try and get British talent on loan from clubs that he's worked with in England before, like Everton and Man United (there's talk that he wants Man United's Januaj (sp). Real Sociedad wants British talent, and the city has had success with British managers before and now, so it's nice they are open to British footballers as well (they cite their strength and pace, and the English players would get positional training and discipline instilled in them. Win win, tbh)
- On-loan Real Madrid striker Javier Hernandez has admitted that he is frustrated by a lack of first-team football. I don't know what he expected, tbh. Probably if he kept his mind open re: a mid place team in the PL (or anywhere, really) he might get playing time. What about the Swans? They've been doing some good signings lately. Their football is relatively direct, and the players are quality
Under 21s friendly England 3- 2 Germany
I've been following the U21s for reasons. Reasons being that my partner rages on about the lads in the group all the time. So the under 21s. Germany and most European countries use them to form the basis of their national teams. The German U21s in 2009 went on to win the WC in 2014. England's U21s from that time - only 1/3 of them are playing top flight football today
There are loads of reasons for England's woes. The flawed loan system, an undefined pathway from academy to first time play, the fact that clubs prefer to buy proven talent instead of given them a chance. In addition, when players are called up to the senior side, they don't return to the under 21s (like Tom Ince, but he's an idiot, NGL), which is why Harry Kane's desire to play for the U21s this summer is a BFD. Joe Hart (England first choice goalie) has encouraged Harry Kane to return as well, because he waxes poetic about his time in the squad, like a man with his first love. It also helps that this time around, the players seem to like playing under the coach, and Hodgson is of the mind that the players should be kept together as long as they can. Harry Kane is now cap tied to us, so he can go back in the U21s now, good lad
Twwwwweeeettt! and we're off. Germany comes out, teutonic fists swinging
There's talent in the German squad. Emre Can of the hair
German second kit in the design of a famous Brazilian side - used to curry favour with the locals of the Brazilian place they were chilling back in 2014. My Brazilian friends were all, "OMG, they love us! They came bearing gifs and they're wearing the colours of X club." Embittered over my country's fortunes at the World Cup I muttered something along the lines of, "Huh, that's how colonialism started, we've been here before. Beware of Europeans bearing gifts." Then the Germans beat Brazil 7-1 ha, haaaaa!!!!
Germany got the first goal! Blighters! Woke the poms the heck up though.
Will Hughes glides across the field like an apparition. He looks like one too, shades of cream and gold and white
*peers over glasses* is that Jenkensen? Used to be an Arsenal guy, now at West Ham, and supposed to make his link there permanent
England struck back! like they remembered the war
James Ward-Prowse ... what a name! Anyway, Saints lad, I think he's the captain of the U21s- all over the pitch like... stink on a warthog. Yeah, although we have no warthogs
Redmond doing... a cheerleading split? Well... okay.
Saved our blushes, he did. Good lad, Redmond. Gooood lad
Phillip Hoffman (German lad) efficiency defined. Saw a space, and exploited it with a punishing blow. From 1-1 to 1-2. Nooo!!!
On top of that, Hoffman defended. Knew his job, carried out his job, however you said, 'Thou shalt not pass' in High German, he did
Ward-Prowse snuck in... and we did it lads! 3-2! Took it to the old enemy, we did! What? It was only a FRIENDLY? So I have to put the bunting and flags away? The match is in the summer you say? *sad trombone* So all this banter was for nowt? Oh.
OP: done. I had pictures of Qatar vs Slovenia but it was in an empty stadium (Qatar) and the pictures felt a bit sad. To snark would be a bit mean, tbh. ANYWAY! Cheers and jeers and corrections and pushback, you know the drill. I will be away but plan to be back for the England Italy friendly. More time!