Just when Liverpool fans thought their year couldn't get any worse, they lose 1-0 at home to the team with the worst away record in all four divisions. But what did we learn, asks Dan Silver?
1) The game was preceded by a minute's applause for late legends Avi Cohen and Bill Jones. Factoring that in, we calculate that home fans spent approximately 63 seconds clapping during the course of the evening.
2) The early exchanges were tense and scrappy. But then that is what you tend to get from relegation six-pointers at this stage of the season...
3) You could excuse Liverpool for looking a little rusty here - after all they'd only had two weeks to prepare for this game. Their Boxing Day fixture at Blackpool was called off due to a frozen pitch; rumours Reds fans were caught trying to attack Anfield's undersoil heating with monkey wrenches mid-way through the second-half have yet to be confirmed.
4) Despite their lowly league position, some of Wolves's approach play was excellent, and Mick McCarthy's side are probably only a new striker away from being a decent side. He'd have to be about 10'4"-tall to get on the end of those woefully over-hit crosses, mind.
5) We know Liverpool's status isn't quite what it was, but did Sotirios Kyrgiakos really need to try and swap shirts with most of Wolves' forwards while the game was still in progress?
6) We're not saying Paul Konchesky had a bad game, but the reception he got from the Liverpool fans upon being substituted in the second-half couldn't have been more hostile if his mum had been doing a lap of honour.
7) Most ironic chant of the night? 'Hodgson for England', heard ringing out from the Kop after Wolves took the lead. Although admittedly on this showing, they could have sung it about Joe Cole, Glen Johnson and even Steven Gerrard and still achieved the same effect.
8) It was never going to be easy for Roy tonight as he's never conquered Wolves. Which is odd, because it's usually the likes of Rotherham, Reading and Raith Rovers that he has a problem with.
9) Liverpool fans appeared to be celebrating New Year's Eve 48 hours early: they hit the boos with gusto both at half-time and after the final whistle.
10) Cheer up, Liverpool fans: Fergie got sacked today! Admittedly it was Darren rather than Sir Alex but, hey - at least he might still be available should Roy actually manage to take you down...
Liverpool FC 0 Wolves 1: We've let fans down says Roy Hodgson
Dec 29 2010
Liverpool FC boss Roy Hodgson lamented "a really bad day at the office" as his side lost 1-0 to Wolves at Anfield.
The Reds lost an eighth Barclays Premier League match of the season as Wolves won away for the first time since late March to climb off the bottom.
Liverpool lacked invention and energy - even with the return of Steven Gerrard from six weeks out - but the visitors did have that spark and ended a run of six successive defeats away from home thanks to Stephen Ward’s first Premier League goal.
"Unfortunately we had a really bad day at the office today," Hodgson said after Wednesday's game.
"Not much went right for us except the fact people tried to keep going, worked as hard as they could but technically we weren’t anywhere near our best today.
"The tempo of our play was nowhere near what we like it to be. As a result we ended up losing. I think we can consider ourselves a bit unlucky to lose it, I think 0-0 would not have been an unfair result but there you go. They got a lucky break and put the ball away so we lose all three points and disappoint our fans yet again."
"Ever since I came here, the famous Anfield support has not really been there," he admitted.
"There was the problems with the owners and Kenny of course being so popular, not getting the job and it being given to me, so I've had to live with that from the start.
"I can only hope that we do have good supporters and that these fans become supporters as well because this is a time when the club needs support."
what's going to happen next? who do you want to see instead of Roy?