Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Nani will not return to action until after this month's international break.
The Portugal international will miss games against Arsenal, Marseille and Bolton, adding to Ferguson's already lengthy injury list.
The Manchester United winger was forced out of his side's 3-1 defeat at Liverpool on Sunday, leaving the field on a stretcher after Jamie Carragher's first-half tackle left a deep gash on his left shin.
Many observers felt the challenge warranted a straight red card, rather than the yellow Carragher received, and the defender seemed to acknowledge he had had a lucky escape by visiting the United dressing room to apologise to Nani after the game.
Ferguson revealed the extent of the injury this morning, in his first press conference since being charged by the FA for comments made about referee Martin Atkinson in the wake of United's defeat away to Chelsea last week.
The manager is reasonably happy with Nani's progress, but still ruled him out of tomorrow's FA Cup quarter-final with Arsenal, Tuesday's Champions League clash against Marseille and next Saturday's Premier League meeting with Bolton.
"We have managed to stitch the injury, which is good news," said Ferguson. "We need to guard against infection and swelling.
"It is difficult to say exactly when he will be ready to return but we won't get him back for the Bolton match next Saturday."
Ferguson also confirmed that neither Rio Ferdinand nor Park Ji-sung, who are recovering from calf and hamstring injuries respectively, are set for a comeback this weekend.
Antonio Valencia's return is also on hold, although the Ecuador midfielder did feature in a closed-doors game earlier this week and Ferguson does not feel it will be long before he makes his comeback.
"Antonio is difficult to assess because he has been out for such a long time," said Ferguson.
"He has been training very well and is taking part in a few practice matches between the players.
Despite a failure to score in five games and some disappointing displays, Fernando Torres is convinced he made the right decision to leave "the chaos" of Liverpool behind for Chelsea.
The 26-year-old moved to Stamford Bridge from Anfield for a British record £50m on the final day of the January transfer window and the striker has revealed that, although he was a hero to the Liverpool supporters, the atmosphere around the club had changed to such an extent that he felt he had to move on.
"I knew I was an idol for the fans but it wasn't the same any more," Torres told the Spanish sports paper Marca. "The institution was in chaos with the sale. There was all this talk of possible projects. In many ways it reminded me of [former club] Atlético Madrid ... a great history, many ideas but without money, it needed time. I don't have that."
Torres has previously spoken of "broken promises" and has now hinted at a greater malaise behind the scenes at Anfield which led to his decision to leave. "People aren't honest in the world of football," he said. "You can't say the truth or be clear with people. It's a business and nobody is anyone's friend."
Torres is convinced that he has found something different at Stamford Bridge and that Roman Abramovich's finances will ensure that the club is consistently challenging for major honours. "Chelsea have proved they have top-level players in all departments and that they will always be competitive whatever happens, with an owner who will invest when it is necessary," he said.
Torres also brushed off concerns about his current form saying a bedding in period was always likely after such a transfer. "I didn't expect it to be easy. It never is," he added. "It was the same for me at Liverpool. There are two months of adaptation to something so new, and more so in February.
"The fans have been impressive from the first day. They are almost more enthusiastic than I am to score the first goal."
He also said he had been surprised at how easy it had been for him to settle in with his new team mates. "I expected something more distant with a team full of stars," Torres said.
"There are more personal relationships and jokes between the players than there were at Liverpool. Everything was much more serious there. Here, you don't have to prove you are a professional, it is assumed."
Tottenham Hotspur FC's reputation has grown steadily in the UEFA Champions League this season. Ever since Gareth Bale almost sparked one of the most dramatic comebacks witnessed at San Siro against holders FC Internazionale Milano in October, the north London team have become regarded as one of the competition's most entertaining sides.
Manager Harry Redknapp has been the inspiration behind Tottenham's charge to the quarter-finals, which the Group A winners sealed with a 1-0 aggregate victory over seven-time European champions AC Milan on Wednesday. The Spurs boss is now five games away from joining British predecessors such as Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Matt Busby (Manchester United FC), Tony Barton (Aston Villa FC), Joe Fagan and Bob Paisley (Liverpool FC) and Brian Clough (Nottingham Forest FC) in lifting European club football's elite trophy.