The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body decided to award the abandoned UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier between Italy and Serbia as a 3-0 forfeit win to Italy among other decisions.
Following the abandonment of the UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying match between Italy and Serbia at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris in Genoa on 12 October, the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body met today in Nyon, Switzerland, to evaluate the case. Both national associations involved in the match – the Football Association of Serbia and the Italian Football Federation – and the UEFA disciplinary inspector were represented at today's meeting.
The Control and Disciplinary Body has decided to award the match as a 3-0 forfeit win to Italy.
The Football Association of Serbia (FSS) has been ordered to play its next two home matches behind closed doors. From this sanction, a one-match ban is deferred for a probationary period of two years.
The Control and Disciplinary Body has ordered the FSS to refrain from ordering tickets for Serbian supporters for all the away matches of the Serbian team during the remainder of the UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying competition. The association was also fined a total of €120,000.
The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) received a sanction of one match to be played behind closed doors. This sanction is deferred for a probationary period of two years. The association was fined €100,000.
Both associations have three days from the dispatch of the written decisions within which to lodge an appeal.
Roy Hodgson is optimistic that Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is displaying signs that he is approaching his best form.
Torres has endured a difficult start to the season and has scored just twice as Liverpool sit in the Premier League's bottom three.
The Spain striker underwent a knee operation towards the end of the season and then suffered a further injury during his country's World Cup final success over Holland.
He has taken time to regain peak fitness but, after scoring the winner against Blackburn last weekend, Hodgson feels Torres is starting to find his stride again.
Hodgson told the club's official website: "I think his desire and his wanting to do a good job have been there from the very first day.
"It is just a combination of things - maybe the team is playing a bit better and their extra confidence is giving him extra confidence.
"Football is always a big amalgam of a lot of factors.
"You do need, if you are going to have a good team, your good players in good form producing what they are capable of producing.
"With Fernando on Sunday we definitely saw that.
"I see it in training every day and I just hope he keeps going and we have a good few months of it."
Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has confirmed he plans to make new signings in the January transfer window.
New Reds owners New England Sports Ventures are set to back Hodgson with funds in the new year to bolster the squad at Anfield following their takeover of the club earlier this month.
Hodgson is confident the new owners will give him the green light to move for the best players, but insists he will not spend money for the sake of it.
"If we want the right quality, we have got to be prepared to pay the right price," Hodgson told the club's official website.
"The owners know that perfectly well. We have got to make certain that if we go out and spend £20m, we are getting a £20m player.
"We want to be attracting the players that Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter are chasing. It would be nice to think that we can shop at a high level.
"I'm like all managers in that I'm wary of the January transfer window. I think it can be dangerous as clubs try to correct mistakes.
"But, having said that, we are going to be very interested in trying to improve our squad in January. There is no question about that. I am sure we will sign players."
Hodgson added: "What I would hope to do is get this group of players playing well enough so we don't need to panic.
"Then I can say to the owners, 'If we are going to spend a lot of money, let's get the right man.'
"I don't want to spend half the money that might be available on someone for the sake of buying when the player we actually want might not be available until the summer.
"The lucky thing is that we are rebuilding around several top-class players. We have got Reina, Carragher, Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt - it's not as if we are rebuilding from nothing."
Ronaldinho back in Brazil squad
Brazil coach Mano Menezes has handed Ronaldinho a recall to the national side ahead of next month's friendly against Argentina.
Ronaldinho, currently at AC Milan, missed out on a place in the 2010 World Cup squad after failing to convince previous boss Dunga, but Menezes has ended the player's 18-month international exile.
"He is a player in good form in a position we need," Menezes said. "We want to see the Ronaldinho who was admired as one of the best in the world."
Santos starlet Neymar, considered to be a key part of the new-look side, also makes his return. Neymar had been left out of the squad that took on Iran and Ukraine in October due to disciplinary problems.
Brazil play Argentina in Doha on November 17.
Ugh, Neymar, what a little brat. And I still think he should've called Hernanes, he's great.
• Defoe recovering fast following ankle surgery
• Spurs hit by gloomy news over Ledley King
Jermain Defoe intends to play some part in next month's derby against Arsenal after enjoying a quicker-than-expected recovery from ankle surgery.
The Tottenham Hotspur and England striker damaged ligaments in the joint when on international duty against Switzerland on 7 September and after the operation, it was said he was not expected to return until December.
But he has been working in the gym and is poised to begin running again. So encouraging has his progress been, moreover, that staff estimate he will be back in two to three weeks, which would see him recover fitness in time for the derby at the Emirates on 20 November.
( Collapse )
tbh i'll only believe it when i see it...that said does anyone want to join my pre-man utd prayer circle
Spurs still without Huddlestone
Tottenham will once again be without Tom Huddlestone for the Barclays Premier League game at Manchester United. The midfielder has failed to recover from the groin injury that forced him to miss last weekend's 1-1 draw with Everton.
So the NFL is having a game in London this Sunday (49ers v Broncos dohoho) and as part of the promotion (because Spurs did some stuff in the Bay Area with the San Jose Earthquakes, Oakland A's and the 49ers over the summer) Michael Dawson took some amazing pictures. Then again I think 90% of his pictures are amazing so I'm not the most ~objective~ person to ask.
( Collapse )
haters need not comment
Okay so i know it's not the 30th in many places yet but im gonna be busy tomorrow so i wanted to post it today. But hey, it's Saturday in Australia :)
Hey everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me. I've decided to do this because as im sure you're all aware, it's the 30th October. Which means, yes, Halloween's just around the corner but today also marks the two years Ruben de la Red has not been sashaying across numerous pitches and progressing through the ranks of football.
( Collapse )( Collapse )
Also i think there should be a greater emphasis put on this subject as it seems to keep happening. Especially after what just happened to Miguel Garcia the other day :(
HE THEN WENT AND BECAME THE ~BEST~ PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL
DIEGO ARMANDO MARADONA'S
( Collapse )
I would love to see Ganso playing in the premier league but if him and Neymar end up playing at Chelsea together ima kill -_-
I'd rather they both come to Liverpool... PARTAAAY!
Blatter: flawed voting process will stay in place
( Collapse )