January 28th, 2010

amy owl

ugh i'm too bored and there needs to be news

Martin O'Neill slams 'appalling insult' from Arsène Wenger (aka he mad)
• Arsenal manager says Villa play 'long-ball' game
• Vermaelen and Da Silva set to miss United match

Martin O'Neill reacted furiously to Arsène Wenger's suggestion that Aston Villa play a long-ball game. O'Neill accused the Arsenal manager of an "appalling insult" at the end of an evening that saw Arsenal's Thomas Vermaelen suffer a suspected broken leg and Eduardo da Silva limp off with a hamstring injury.

Wenger said that the match, a goalless draw, represented two points dropped for Arsenal, who are waiting for X-ray results to establish the extent of Vermaelen's injury before Sunday's match at home to Manchester United. But the Villa match and the injuries were overshadowed by the feud that developed afterwards, following the Frenchman's derogatory comments about Villa's style of play.

Collapse )
tbh i read this and thought, oh man, MON is gonna challenge him to a duel or something, and then my imagination ran away with me and now y'all are stuck with some ugly pixels of what i think the duel would look like. i have no earthly idea why the swords are crooked, ok.
cigs

Barca boys out to dinner!

After overcoming Valladolid in the weekend, the cast&crew of Barcelona held a big dinner paaaartey in restaurant Sibar to celebrate the 6 copas and the renewal of Pep, Márquez, Iniesta, Puyol, Abidal and Valdés, demonstrating lovely team spirit, huge plastic bags and some outstandingly horrid fashion sense.
:)



Collapse )
Cheryl

at least the police were doing their jobs for once?


Eleven arrested before all-Manchester Carling Cup semi-final


• Supporters detained for affray and criminal damage
• First-leg arrest tally stands at 29


Eleven supporters, of which club is unknown, were arrested before the teams walked on for an explosive Manchester Derby


Eleven fans were arrested tonight in the build-up to the Manchester derby. The men were arrested before the two Premier League teams met at Old Trafford in the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final. 

There was a large police presence at Manchester United's ground in an attempt to avoid a repeat of events at last week's first leg which resulted in appeals for the public to identify troublemakers.

So far 29 people have been arrested for alleged offences stemming from the first game, which City won 2-1.

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "Officers policing tonight's Manchester derby have made 11 arrests. Eleven men have been arrested on suspicion of various offences including public order, affray and criminal damage."

guardian


the hate between us hasn't been this strong in forever
i love it
but not the violence obv, boo
Nina Dobrev
  • arooj

Xavi stands up for Messi over Ronaldo appeal evidence.


MADRID: Barcelona midfielder Xavi has stood up for his team mate Lionel Messi after Real Madrid used video of the Argentine forward to try and get a
Cristiano Ronaldo red card rescinded.

Ronaldo was shown a straight red during Sunday's 2-0 win over Malaga after catching defender Patrick Mtiliga with a flailing arm and breaking his nose.

As part of their appeal against the card, Real presented evidence to the Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) which included video of an incident when Messi used his arms to shake off a Sevilla opponent who was holding him back.

Messi was awarded a free kick and the RFEF ruled that as the referee had not mentioned the incident in his match report it was not relevant and, in any case, no injury had been caused.

"You have to assess the intention of each player," Xavi told reporters on Wednesday.

"Leo wants to carry on playing and Cristiano wants to break free of the defender with a swipe of his arm," added the Spain international, who is one of Barca's club captains.

"Leo is the number one and you can't damage his image in any way. He's humble, hard-working and always thinks about the group. Not like other footballers."

The RFEF's disciplinary committee decided Ronaldo's actions were not willful or reckless, which would have meant a longer suspension, but that he had been guilty of dangerous play.

Real have said that if their appeal was unsuccessful they would take the case to Spain's Sporting Disciplinary Committee (CEDD), a body overseen by the government sports council (CSD).

"For me, the (Ronaldo) incident is very clear," Xavi said. "It's a red and the two-match ban is extremely fair."

Collapse )
what

Fernando Cáceres writes to Salvador Cabañas

EMOTIONAL SUPPORT LETTER FROM FERNANDO CÁCERES TO SALVADOR CABAÑAS


"I ask you to fight with all your strength: You can do it, miracles exist. You're going to make it. Fight, fight, and don't give up", says one of the fragments of the letter directed to Cabañas published this Thursday by Olé.

Fernando Cáceres had been shot on November 1st by a group of criminals who were trying to steal his car. The life of the former Argentinos Juniors, River Plate, Boca Juniors, Independiente and the Selección was in serious danger, but he's now recovering.

"I know very well what you're going through. Something similar happened to me. However, 86 days after that awful accident, I write to you from the Fleni clinic, where thank God I'm getting better," he writes.

Salvador Cabañas, striker of Paraguay's NT and América de México was shot past Monday in a bar in the Distrito Federal. Chava, as he's popularly known, is in grave danger and with a bullet still inside his brain.

"You're going to make it. Fight, fight, and don't give up," says Cáceres, and in the final part, he adds: "I hope that soon enough we can talk and remember this situations as tests life has laid out for us. I send you a big hug, and all the strenght in the world."

source


I looked for the letter, and this is it:

I know very well what you're going through. Something similar happened to me. However, 86 days after that awful accident, I write to you from the Fleni clinic, where thank God I'm getting better. I ask you to fight with all your strenght: You can do it, miracles exist. You're going to make it: fight, fight, and don't give up. We're all with you, and filled with hope for you to get better soon. May your family, friends and teammates know that, even in the distance, I'm with all of you. In my case, the support of my loved ones has allowed me to be writing to you today. I hope that soon enough we can talk and remember this situations as test life has laid out for us. I send you a big hug, and all the strenght in the world.

Fernando Cáceres


source


They're both such nice guys, I hope he makes it through :'(

someone's not learnt their lesson

Fiorentina striker Adrian Mutu fails drugs test


Fiorentina striker Adrian Mutu has tested positive for a banned substance, according to the Italian Olympic Committee.

A statement said traces of anti-obesity drug sibutramine were found in a sample given after a Serie A match between Fiorentina and Bari on 10 January.

The Romania international tested positive for cocaine in September 2004 when playing for Chelsea.

Mutu was subsequently banned for seven months by the Football Association.

However, the 31-year-old could face the prospect of a ban of up to four years for a second drugs-related offence.

Sibutramine is an appetite suppressant drug used for obese people, although it was recently banned in the UK amid fears over the increased risks of heart attacks and strokes.

Mutu has been in excellent form for the Florence-based club, scoring seven times this season - including a goal in the 2-1 win over Bari.

But his problems have further exacerbated with a Swiss Federal Court nearing a ruling on Mutu's appeal against the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which said he must pay Chelsea 17m Euros (£14.62m) for breach of contract.
source

you think after last time, he would have learnt his lesson. also why the hell is he taking an anti-obesity drug?!?
Cheryl

great


Rio Ferdinand's ban extended to four games after 'frivolous' appeal

• Manchester United defender guilty of violent conduct
• Process allowed Ferdinand to face Manchester City


Rio Ferdinand's appeal against the FA's violent conduct charge has been rejected.

The Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has received a four-match ban from the Football Association, for a combination of violent conduct and a "frivolous appeal.

He received a three-match ban for violent conduct, after being found guilty of deliberately striking Craig Fagan during United's 4-0 win over Hull City on Saturday, and a further match for making an appeal that had no chance of being upheld.

The appeal might have been a calculated gamble by United, who knew that it was the only way of allowing the defender to play in last night's Carling Cup semi-final, second leg against Manchester City. But the Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson, said yesterday that he was optimistic about the appeal.

"If he gets a fair hearing Rio has a good chance," said Ferguson. "He was getting wrestled and punched. There were all sorts of things happening. He was just trying to get himself free of it and unfortunately caught the lad on the back of the neck."

Ferdinand's suggestion that contact with Fagan had been accidental however failed to convince the FA's disciplinary panel. The match referee, Steve Bennett, did not see the incident at the time but had indicated that had he done so Ferdinand would have been sent off.

The decision means Ferdinand will miss Sunday's Premier League match with Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium. In addition the 31-year-old will also sit out matches against Portsmouth, Aston Villa and Everton next month, although he will be available for the Carling Cup final against Aston Villa at Wembley on February 28.

"The independent commission felt that the player's claim against the charge was frivolous and on that basis have awarded an additional one-match ban upon the statutory three-match ban awarded for violent conduct," said an FA statement.

source


Whoever says the FA love and favor United are idiots.
But it was all part of our plan >:)

I LOVE JOSE

It's Jose's world and we just happen to live in it.

I was going through my YT subscription page and this was on it. Must share.

Please note the following-
1. The major bitch face @ 1:19.
2. The proof that it's all about him, always, all the time, everywhere @ 2:05.
3. Silver Smug @ 3:04.



Speaking of bitch face-

Collapse )
clarice

Brazil Round-Up

Robinho is moving to Santos on loan, Man City fans could care less.



Manchester City have allowed record signing Robinho to join Santos on a six-month loan deal.

City confirmed in a statement on their website that the Brazilian club will pay all of the player's wages and bonuses for the period, which begins immediately and ends on August 4.

Manager Roberto Mancini said: "Robinho is someone who needs to be playing regularly and we wish him well for the period of his loan."

more

Dunga stars in Brahma ad (I LOLed.)


Kaká looking good and speking Eengleesh.
They won't let me embed, so click here.

Brazil fans, can we just spam this post, it's been a while. What y'all think?
castiel2

I feel so sorry for Pompey fans....

Grant to quit Portsmouth

Avram Grant is close to quitting as Portsmouth manager after two of his best players were sold behind his back.

Defender Younes Kaboul and keeper Asmir Begovic - man of the match in Tuesday night's 1-1 draw against West Ham - were sold to Spurs yesterday for around £6million.

The deal will help Portsmouth pay the players' wage bill, around £1.75million, on Friday.

But Grant was privately fuming as he believes the south coast side - who travel to wealthy Manchester City on Sunday - now have no chance of survival.

Indeed, only last month Grant insisted no player would be sold without his prior approval.

Kaboul, 24, and goalkeeper Begovic, 22, are to reunite with former Pompey boss Harry Redknapp at White Hart Lane.

But Pompey cannot rely on David James as he will be sold to Stoke for just £1million by Monday's transfer deadline.

The deal is understood to have been agreed by executive director Mark Jacob and controversial finance chief Danny Azougy to help raise cash to pay Pompey’s January wage bill.

Chief executive Peter Storrie last night claimed he, too, had been kept out of the loop along with Grant.

Storrie said: "In many ways our position at the club has become untenable. It makes you wonder what we are doing here at the moment.

"In my time at the club I have negotiated some expensive deals in and out and I think I am good at it.

"If there is a need to sell players to keep the club afloat then I think I’m the best person to get the best fees.

"I did not know anything about these deals until I came into the office this morning and spoke to Avram.

"I was told there were meetings going on at Spurs.

"Avram is disappointed. He understands that if someone has to be sold to keep the club going, then so be it.

"But we both feel we could have got a better deal.

"I think Begovic is going to be a fantastic player in the future so to sell him is not the best move in the world.

"That is the deal that Avram is disappointed with the most."

The sales continue a remarkable exodus of players from the troubled club, whose website was shut down yesterday because they cannot afford to run it.

Portsmouth are also in talks with West Ham and Wigan over Algerian midfielder Nadir Belhadj, while Sporting are interested in the Algerian midfielder Hassan Yebda and Birmingham are closing in on the signing of striker Aruna Dindane, recalled from his loan at Fratton Park by Lens because Pompey cannot afford to keep him.

Storrie added: "Avram came into the club and has a love and affection for the club but we feel we have been pushed to one side.

"Something has to give and clearly the owners have to decide the best way forward."

Tottenham are willing to pay £8million to take back Kaboul, but Pompey still owe £2m from his original switch to Fratton Park. Spurs are also entitled to a 20 per cent sell on of any fee over £4m pounds.


here

FA cup winners 2008. Now more than likely to be relegated. Absolutely insane....
darcy doesn;t sparkle

stolen from ontd_political, since LJ won't let me link to it without my whole entry disappearing.

English newspaper in 'black shirts' Nazi scandal

The 'Daily Star' headline is just sick. The SS and Fascist groups in Italy and England were known as 'Black Shirts'.

A British tabloid has kicked up a storm ahead of the World Cup by claiming Germany’s new black away strip is a Nazi throwback!

The kit – which reflects the colours worn by German players in their first-ever international in 1898 – was exclusively revealed by BILD yesterday.

But under a story entitled ‘Return of ze black shirts’, the ‘Daily Star’ claims the shirts are reminiscent of those worn by Adolf Hitler’s notorious SS. Along with Fascists in Italy and the UK, they were known as Black Shirts.

And the scandal newspaper wasn’t finished there, claiming the move was “a goose-step too far”.

The Adidas strip also features white shorts and was an instant hit with fans in Germany.

But the ‘Daily Star’ claimed: “Germany is set to kick up a Reich stink at the World Cup by playing in Nazi-style black shirts.”

An unbelievable claim from the country which calls itself the Home of Football!

And the tackiness wasn’t finished, as the article was illustrated with a picture of Germany captain Michael Ballack – who plays for English club Chelsea – next to a portrait of Hitler.

It was the height of poor taste, coming the day after International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

But there is a history of such references – England and Germany have shared a big sporting rivalry for years, and the Nazi jibes are quick to come out when the teams face each other on the field.

Before the Euro 96 semi-final in London, one UK newspaper headline read: “Let’s Blitz Fritz!”

And the ‘Daily Mail’ wanted to force then-German coach Berti Vogts and his team into the ultimate retreat from ‘enemy territory’, in this case Wembley Stadium.

Source


I am so fucking appalled with this that I can't even deal. Seriously, WHY DID YOU THINK THIS WOULD BE APPROPRIATE?? The English press are complete scum.
Hope

Jay-Z wants a date with Cesc

Jigga Wut?!


 

Jay-Z: 'I Want Lunch With Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas'

He's offered tickets to watch The Gunners...

 

Jay-Z has been offered VIP tickets to any Arsenal game of his choice after he confessed to being a Gunner.

The hip-hop megastar has even offered to return the favour and give Arsenal players backstage access to his next show in England.

The Jigga Man, who announced his support for Arsenal in The Sun said: "I'd like to thank the club for their kind offer.

"I will be in contact... and you can let Arsenal know what game I can make."

Asked who his current favourite player is, the rapper said it was Arsenal's captain Cesc Fabregas and added: "It would be good to chat with Cesc and some of the other guys over lunch."

Despite meeting Chelsea players at his Alexandra Palace show last November, Jay-Z insisted Arsenal are the only team for him.

“They were cool guys but it's all about Arsenal for me," he explained.

Jay-Z continued to the newspaper: "I want (the Arsenal team) to party in New York, my city. I will look after them and make sure that they have some amazing nights out.

"The next time I'm playing in England I would like the Arsenal players to come and watch my gig and then come backstage afterwards.

"I know how hard professional sportsmen work so I want to offer an incentive for the guys."

Source: www.gigwise.com/news/54287/Jay-Z-I-Want-Lunch-With-Arsenals-Cesc-Fabregas

Well...wouldn't that be a party? Lol.
combing his hair!

Blind Item...I guess, you guess.

A Premier League footballer has won a gagging order stopping the public learning about his affair with a team-mate’s girlfriend.

The so-called ‘super-injunction’ was granted by a High Court judge under human rights laws.

The married England international successfully claimed that exposing his infidelity would be a breach of his right to a ‘private and family life’.

So draconian is Mr Justice Tugendhat’s order that even its existence is supposed to be a secret.

This latest example of media censorship provoked fresh controversy yesterday.
 
Collapse ) 

**EDITED**
THE GUARDIAN SAYS THE INJUNCTION WAS OVERTUNED AND THE CULPRIT (???) IS JOHN MOTHERFUCKIN TERRY!


Daily Mail