Bullet-proof vests for 2010?
The Mannschaft may have to wear bullet-proof vests if they leave the
team hotel in South Africa.
"The possibility for the players of moving outside of the hotel boundaries should be kept to a minimum," BaySecur's Guenter Schnelle told German magazine Sport-Bild. "Otherwise there must be a full escort: armed security guards and bullet-proof vests for the players."
BaySecur is one of the firms expected to be employed by the German Football Federation (DFB) while the team are at the tournament that runs from 11 June until 11 July.
"We will then receive the first security report," DFB spokesman Harald Stenger said Wednesday. "After a security workshop following the draw on 4 December the federation will receive more information. And the will then decide if and what extra security measures it might take on its own to beef up security for the national team and its entourage."
"Any such measures would have to be cleared by Fifa and the South African organizers."
Former German international and the man in charger of team logistic's Oliver Bierhoff says the team will have to get used to certain restrictions.
"We'll have to adjust to a World Cup under different conditions," he said. "The players won't be able to move so freely as they did 2006 in Germany or 2008 at the European Championship in Austria and Switzerland."
Update 1: The 2010 Organising Committee has strongly condemned suggestions that
Update 2: Guenter Schnelle said the journalists who wrote the article had "invented" the comments. He denied ever discussing bulletproof vests and bodyguards with the journalists and said he had been dragged over the coals for what emerged in the media. (SOURCE 1, 2)